Microsoft continues it’s mission of empowerment by working to apply the power of technology to safeguard human rights and protect the planet. They recently issued their 2016 Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
During fiscal year 2016, Microsoft made progress on a number of fronts:
- Expanding Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability by establishing new energy goals, including having data centers rely on a larger percentage of wind, solar and hydro power electricity over time.
- Prioritizing inclusive design and accessibility in the development of products and services to empower everyone, while deepening the inclusive culture at Microsoft.
- Enhancing companywide privacy principles and the Microsoft Privacy Statement to protect customers’ personal data and their right to privacy.
- Holding suppliers accountable to human rights, labor, health and safety, environmental, and business ethics practices prescribed in Microsoft’s Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Expanding economic opportunity to every corner of the planet through Microsoft Philanthropies’ three-year commitment to donate $1 billion in public cloud computing for nonprofits around the world.
- Contributing to public policy discussions with a new book, “A Cloud for Global Good,” which lays out a roadmap of 78 specific policy recommendations to help ensure cloud computing is trusted, responsible and inclusive.
As part of Microsoft’s commitment to transparency, this report builds on the company’s prior annual citizenship reporting, but is now designed to be a living reporting website where Microsoft can offer both the year-over-year data we traditionally provide as well as ongoing updates throughout the year on important developments on our efforts.
Microsoft takes seriously the responsibilities to help the world achieve more and is committed to meeting that responsibility to address economic, social and environmental issues. Microsoft also recognizes the importance of partnerships and value the opportunity to work with nonprofits, advocates, governments, academics, customers and employees to advance progress. Together, Microsoft believes we can strengthen communities and ensure greater outcomes for all.
Microsoft will continue to dedicate themselves to the challenges humankind faces, the role technology can play and the unique contributions Microsoft can make in cooperation with others around the world. Microsoft purchases made through iGive.com will also give back to your favorite cause.